Error messageWarning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in EntityCacheControllerHelper::entityCacheLoad() (line 73 of /var/aegir/platforms/drupal_prod_7/sites/all/modules/PERFS/entitycache/includes/entitycache.entitycachecontrollerhelper.inc).
- 56A façade 56m high in Abbeville
- 1440year in which construction began in Rue
- 28listed statues at Saint-Riquier
Saint-Wulfram collegiate church
MASTERPIECE OF FLAMBOYANT GOTHIC
Picardy was a pioneer of Gothic architecture, a land of cathedral master-builders... it boasts no fewer than 6 such cathedrals (Amiens, Noyon, Soissons, Beauvais, Laon, Senlis).
The jewel in its crown? Notre-Dame cathedral in Amiens, of course, described as the "Pantheon of Gothic architecture" by Ruskin. But the Somme department has several other examples of this architecture famous for the light and airiness of its structures.
Its stroke of genius? The invention of the Gothic vault which creates space, allowing light to flood in on all sides.
Abbeville, in the west, is home to a masterpiece of Flamboyant Gothic: the collegiate church of Saint Vulfran. Flying buttresses, huge windows, stone lacework and rose windows are all features of this architectural style.
Chapel at Rue
FLAMBOYANT AND RICH IN DETAIL
The chapel of the Holy Spirit at Rue is another treasure of Flamboyant Gothic architecture. Its decoration is rich and lavish, in the Flemish style. The vaults are adorned with magnificent hanging keystones. The Treasury is sublime.
More info.: Tourist Information Office in Rue
- Amiens Cathedral - Tourist Information Office, 03 22 71 60 50 - guided tours every day
- Saint Vulfran Collegiate church in Abbeville - Tourist Information Office, 03 22 24 27 92 - guided tours every day
- Hospice and Holy Spirit in Rue - Tourist Information Office, 03 22 25 69 94 - guided tours, February to September, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11am.
- Saint Riquier Royal Abbey - 03 22 99 96 25 - guided tours every day, 3pm & 4pm
- Church of Saint Leu in Amiens - Tourist Information Office, 03 22 71 60 50 - guided tours on request
Saint Riquier Royal Abbey
AN OUTSTANDING SET OF BUILDINGS
The abbey church of Saint Riquier is an extraordinary example of the development of Gothic architecture. Its façade is unusual in that it is dominated by a single central tower, 50 metres high, covered in mounted statues.
Thanks to its library which, over the centuries, became one of the largest in Europe and to its scriptorium actively engaged in creating and disseminating the Carolingian minuscule, the abbey played an important part in the preservation and transmission of knowledge until the end of the 12th century.
>Guided tour of the Abbey
> Tour of abbey in moonlight
> In the footsteps of pilgrims tour
> Tour of Abbey in the moonlight