The Somme Valley Cycle Path
- 8valley houses
The Somme Cycle Path
Down by the water
Today we don our helmets for a bicycle ride along the river Somme. From Péronne down to the estuary and the bay, the tow path has now been fully converted into a peaceful cycle path with all necessary facilities. You can simply follow the river, taking in all the historical and natural places of interest along the 120-km valley.
To the east, you can take a remembrance tour to commemorate the Centenary of the Great War, visiting land still bearing the scars of the fighting today. Frise, where nature and history intertwine, is a must: Frise mountain is a magnificent natural site overlooking the valley. It still bears the scars of WWI fighting as described by Robert Graves in Good-bye to All That. You might also like the Haute-Somme little train in Froissy, which used to send French soldiers to the front during the Great War.
Nature and culture
The circuit also passes through some stupendous natural sites. Such as the marshes in Méricourt-sur-Somme and Samara, La Barette lakes in Corbie and the Cavins marshes in Bourdon, evocative of Hector Malot's novel "En famille".
We can also enjoy a stopover in the city of Jules Verne, Amiens, to explore the Hortillonnages marsh gardens, 300 hectares of floating gardens complete with bucolic charm, and Notre-Dame, a cathedral with a stone lace facade now listed as UNESCO World Heritage.
There are simply too many places to mention including Samara, the quaint village of Long and Abbeville, culminating in the salt marshes of Somme Bay, where silt and water stretch out to an endless horizon providing a home for birds, seals, sheep and horses.
Cyclists are royally catered for with picnic areas, parking racks, a network of valley houses local bistros, etc.
- Le Comptoir bleu in Long - 3 rue Grande Rue - Tel.: +33 (0)3 64 24 44 52
- L’Auberge du Moulin in Eaucourt-sur-Somme - 1500 lieu-dit du Moulin - Tel.: +33 (0)3 22 31 89 86
Maisons de la vallée
- Grand gîte, camp-site in Frise supérieur - Tel.: +33 (0)6 99 88 86 88
- Boat house for hiking in kayak in Frise inférieur - Tel.: +33 (0)6 99 19 95 47
- Café de la vallée, two gîtes and ballroom in Eclusier-Vaux - Tel.: +33 (0)6 99 88 86 88
- Café de la vallée and little gîte on upper floor in Froissy - Tel.: +33 (0)6 74 90 14 57
- Café de la vallée and camp-site in Lamotte-Brebière - Tel.: +33 (0)6 04 51 76 94
- Tourist Information Office in Ailly-sur-Somme - Tel.: +33 (0)3 22 51 46 85
- River Centre in Long
- Boat house in Saint-Valery-sur-Somme - Tel.:+33 (0)6 71 78 22 37